I remember when I was pregnant with my oldest, Kellan, I had no idea what to buy him or what he even needed. I hit Pinterest and started looking at registry must haves and a lot of the stuff you do need to bring a new baby home BUT a lot of the stuff you definitely don’t need. I thought if we got everything, we would figure out what we really needed and what we could get rid of later on down the road. Well that bad part of that is you waste a lot of money trying to figure what wasn’t really necessary and could have spent that money on something more useful. I’d like to go on record saying getting or wanting these things aren’t bad but if you’re on a budget or looking for things that you can save some extra money on these items are definitely a pass.
- Baby Food Maker The baby blenders are something you for sure don’t need especially if you have a blender in your home already! It does the same exact thing your blender does but it’s only smaller and probably just as pricey as the blender that you have.
- Baby Shoes I still have about 10 pairs of baby shoes that have the tags, never been opened, or even looked at since Kellan was born. I would say unless you have a family photo planned that you’d like for your baby to have shoes on that they don’t need these.
- Diaper Genie The idea of this is great! A compact place to throw away diapers that most of them have a smell eliminator attached to the top seems perfect BUT if you’ve had a baby, and you’re breastfeeding especially, you’ll know that their poop doesn’t stink. The bags to replace those aren’t cheap and it’s just as easy to throw them in your kitchen or bathroom trash. We got one when I was pregnant with Kellan and maybe used it for the first 3 months and after that it just sat in his room. When Knox came along we didn’t even use it the first month. I got rid of it in a yard sale we had.
- Pee Pee Teepee We never got one but I always saw people talking about buying them for their little boys in my mom groups I was on. I can say that both of my boys had very few pee accidents in the beginning. You change them so fast that the odds of them peeing every single time you change their diaper is slim. So not worth the money in my opinion.
- Changing Table I never bought one. I did some research while I was pregnant with Kellan. I wanted to make the most of what we were getting and didn’t want to buy anything extra that was unnecessary. A separate changing table is. Odds are they will be out of diapers and still sleeping in their crib. If you’re going to try and get rid of your bedroom furniture as a set you’ll still have to hang on the the changing table if it’s not one that’s attached to the dress or crib. We bought a dresser laid a non slip foam down and put our changing pad on top of that. So much easier and saves some extra space in the room.
- Coming Home Outfit Now everyone might not agree with me on this one but that is fine. This being my third baby I don’t see it necessary to go all out on a coming home outfit. My oldest we found a cute little matching coming home outfit I was so excited to put on him and by the time he came home he had poop all over it. I’m not saying this happens every time or in anyones case but when we finally get home we just want to be comfortable. My second came home in a pair of pajamas and this next baby will being coming home in his pajamas too. If you’re just wanting a super cute picture in an outfit made just for them by all means get one but if you know you’re going to be tired and just want to come home a be comfortable to take a nap this would be skip for me.
- Boogie WipesI got these for my first baby because I thought he needed a special wipe just for his nose. His nose was more special than any other nose in the world and it deserved and extra special wipe just for him. I feel like these are not a necessity. I have never bought them since that first time, in fact I don’t think I even used that whole pack. My kids use tissues just like the rest of us and on the occasion when I forget to buy tissues they have toilet paper to wipe their noses with.
What are somethings you regret buying with your your first baby that I might have missed?